Home > DSSA (Biloxi), DSSA match news > June 2018 Biloxi (DSSA) pistol match results

June 2018 Biloxi (DSSA) pistol match results

The first true Summer match lived up to the expectations for weather. No, not that kind. We didn’t get a drop of rain but we got several inches of HOT. It was unpleasant, to say the least. Not the shooting, that part was great, it was the insanely hot weather. Once in a while, a cloud would provide a brief respite, but the Sun always came back.

Sixty shooters were brave enough to risk heat stroke to shoot six great stages today. We had two classifiers today (both were quick), while the other four featured tough shots, lots of cover and stepped up the challenge just a bit. We have vowed not to get locked back into the open-target hoser-fests of days gone by. They just don’t prepare you for much of anything.

Without further ado, lets see who won. First overall and first Open was Roger Henn, who won by over 7%. Needless to say, he had a pretty good match. He shot clean and fast, two things that will always enhance your score. First Limited went to Gerwin Henn, Carry Optics was taken by Blayne Dupuy, while his brother Bryce won Production. The PCC winner was John Nguyen, with Sam Conway taking Single Stack. It was a tough match and the results proved this out. Only 7 of 60 people shot the match clean (no Mikes or No-shoots).

Thank you to everyone who was able to help with setup this morning, and especially to those who helped tear everything down. The last thing anyone wants to do is more work in the heat after the match is over, but is has to be done.

Overall, the match ran smoothly, but I have been asked to mention two specific areas that need remedial action.

First, there was far too much trash left on the range grounds after the big crowds had departed. There were empty water bottles and paster paper all over the place. This range has trash cans everywhere, so there is no excuse for this happening. If we don’t keep the place clean, we may lose our privilege to shoot at Coast Rifle and Pistol. Please don’t let that happen, and don’t make the last few people have to pick up your trash.

Second, this is a volunteer sport, and no one gets paid to do any part of it. It is your responsibility as a shooter to help paste and/or reset steel targets when you are not shooting. There are only a few people that shouldn’t be pasting on any given stage. That would include the person who just shot (they should be reloading), the next shooter (they should be making final preparations), and the on-deck shooter (who is going through their final walk-through in their head). The RO and scorekeeper likely won’t be pasting (but they can) while they score, so that leaves everyone else to get this most important job done. Your ROs remind you but sometimes it doesn’t seem to sink in. Rule 10.6.1 could earn you a match disqualification for “…failing to comply with the reasonable directions of a Match Official…” We certainly don’t want to do that, but if anyone who is physically able to paste doesn’t help, then it burdens the few who are willing to help. If you don’t care enough to help paste, then maybe you shouldn’t be shooting, either.

If you resemble either of these two issues, then please consider this as a friendly warning. We like your company, but we also need your help.

For the complete match results, click the score computer at the right. Kindle Practiscore

1. Anonymous
    June 25, 2018 at 8:18 AM

We had to wait in the heat while the squad in front of us reshot classifiers do that after match please.

• Gerwin
      June 27, 2018 at 2:47 PM

If someone re shot the classifier , the 2nd reshoot was never turned in (and as Bill mentioned we only allow after match time permitting, this was not the case this Sunday) is it possible the reshoot was because of jumping the start?, improper hand position?, targets not pasted properly? and I totally get it, I would not wanna wait on classifier reshoots if not warranted either. Squad # would definitely help

• Anonymous
        June 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM

some in squad 3 reshoot stage 3

• John Nguyen
      July 10, 2018 at 10:54 AM

I was on squad 3 at this match and we ended On (bay 2) stages 2 and 3. We tore both classifiers down soon after we finished, and there was no reshoots on our squad. I don’t think squad 2 (Lee Frazier’s) had to wait on us at all the entire match. I’m sure you got your squad numbers mixed up.

• team zfg
        July 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM

When we came upon the classifiers the squad in front of us said they were done but a few people were reshooting the classifiers. Zero fucks given.

We waited 10-15 minutes on them with the fans on us and it was twenty times better than the hot as hell shotgun stage. If anybody wants to bitch about anything build a cover over the shotgun range and put fans its hot as hell in there.

• Anonymous
        July 12, 2018 at 9:42 AM

squad 3 sits to pee

• John Nguyen
        July 17, 2018 at 2:15 PM

To Anonymous: I guess you also sit to pee while behind a computer too eh? True pussies hide behind “Anonymous”. You are welcome to introduce yourself anytime.

2. June 25, 2018 at 6:06 PM

I am sorry that happened to your squad. We did not authorize that, and if we allow classifier reshoots, it is ALWAYS after the main match is over. Please tell me what squad YOU were in so I can remind the squad in front of you about this policy. Thanks…

• smc
      June 27, 2018 at 7:28 AM

Also, you cannot DQ someone under 10.6.1 for not pasting. Nor can you give them procedurals. This has come up at other matches and has been discussed to death.

3. Anonymous
    June 25, 2018 at 7:11 PM

Stages were very nice but one suggestion could use more options to shoot on move instead of small shooting areas dictating shooting positions.

4. smc
    June 27, 2018 at 7:18 AM

RO coaching was pretty bad, saw it several times in squad 4. Should remind your ROs at the briefing this is against the rules.

• July 9, 2018 at 7:00 AM

Please make sure you are using the current USPSA rule book. In it, rule 8.6.2.1 states, “When approved by the Range Officer, competitors at Level I matches may, without penalty, receive whatever coaching or assistance they request.” The likely shooter in question wasn’t going to contend for anything but we are thankful that he still enjoys shooting with us and is physically able to do so.

• smc
        July 10, 2018 at 9:52 AM

Bill, I hate to have to get into specifics but as my email went unanswered and you seem to dismiss my concern here as if it were harmless coaching of a newer shooterr then I will get into specifics. Please make sure you review the video of Gerwins run on stage 4 that he posted on facebook. Chris Davis was the RO and at the end Gerwin was about to take another shot at the swinger the RO starting yelling “you’re good, you’re good” to keep him from firing an extra shot. That is illegal and unacceptable coaching by a certified RO. I reached out to match officials to correct it and it has gone unanswered, partly because the match officials are the ones beneffiting from the illegal coaching.

ROs should never, NEVER, offer that sort of coaching, to tell competitors that they have hits on moving targets to save them from firing an extra shot.

-smc

• July 10, 2018 at 10:31 AM

Thank you for your more detailed response. I reviewed the video and see what you are taking about. I will discuss this with the appropriate parties. I don’t have an email that I can find on this, so I am sorry for not answering that. If you want to talk off-line, feel free to call me by phone. You can get my number from the contact info on this web site.

• Gerwin
      July 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM

smc,
      thanks for bringing that to our attn. I apologize for not responding sooner (honestly I just did not know there was follow up comments to be addressed), in my mind I felt I knew who was being talked about in another squad( and ironically I was gonna talk to him about it next match), I sure did not think it was me and mine!
      and I sure did not think enough of any comments to me, to not put up video. Yes Chris said something about hits or shots there, and yes he should have said nothing…no defending that at all. I have already spoken to him about it today. I know its bad and makes my run look even worse than it was, but I delayed at end not because I heard him but rather I was looking to see 2 holes. The video still looks bad though. He should have not said anything, it was a mistake on his part Im sure he will not make again, we are friends, we practice together and Im sure he blurted out without any thoughts of right or wrong and just out of being relaxed among friends shooting.
      In the end all I can do is apologize for not saying something to him after shooting the stage and apologize to anyone who thinks that I am being coached regularly and somehow its ok as I am involved with running DSSA match.

In regards to Anonymous comments about me ( as Bill does not shoot steel) shooting through on steel every month and then scooting without painting or resetting…… well that is just a hater 😉
      on avg 4-6 folks shoot through on steel days, I am out there at 6:30 setting up stages (along with a few others) for EVERYONE to shoot not just me, and the 4-6 form a squad and we paint and reset for each other, lol Im not even sure what Anonymous is talking about? and yes I have to be at work for 11 opening on Saturdays, so I asked Gary Kerr long ago if I come setup early can I shoot through. Yes I don’t help tear down but I sure help setup ;-).

• smc
        July 11, 2018 at 12:19 PM

Thank you for that explanation. Yes, it looks bad and should never happen. Hopefully it doesn’t, as it seemed to be the norm not the exception at the match. As for the 6 folks shooting through each match that sounds like a lot of people who think their time is more valuable than everyone else’s. Like Bill said in the post above about people not pasting, if those shoot through people are too busy to stick around with a squad and work like everyone else for the whole match and tear down afterwards then maybe they shouldn’t be shooting in the first place.

-smc

• team zfg
        July 17, 2018 at 9:32 AM

ya’ll need to be coaching gerald forbes how not to dq instead of worrying about trash being picked up

• Anonymous
        July 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Captain FumbleGun lmao

5. Anonymous
    July 8, 2018 at 5:21 PM

Couple of us were discussing this rant at a match today and the irony wasn’t lost that the person making it is the first one to shoot through Biloxi steel match every month and then scoot out without helping any squad with painting or resetting.

6. team zfg
    July 10, 2018 at 1:43 PM

Coaching rule is dumb. Complaining about coaching is even dumber. Who fucking cares.

Everybody should paste and reset and tear down and throw their own trash away. That is common sense. Not doing that is dumb. Complaining about it on the internet or threatening to DQ over it is even dumber. Don’t be dumb.

And Squad 3 didn’t reshoot shit. Squad 3 all worked, pasted, reset, and tore down and even picked up other peoples trash. Be like squad 3.

7. team zfg
    July 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM

Good match by the way. Stages were really good. Also put a trash can on stage 1 and that would help what y’all bitching about.

• Gerwin
      July 10, 2018 at 2:37 PM

👍 perfect makes sense , thanks

8. Chris Davis
    July 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM

Technically I was in the wrong, but in no way was I trying to coach anyone. I just came out, because in my view he was finished and I was just letting him know. Nevertheless, I be more cognizant in the further. But your statement that I was in any way “yelling” is a gross misrepresentation.

9. Chris Davis
    July 10, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Technically I was in the wrong, but in no way was I trying to coach anyone. It just came out, because in my view he was finished and I was just letting him know. Nevertheless, I’ll be more cognizant in the further. But your statement that I was in any way “yelling” is a gross misrepresentation.

• Anonymous